I Love God - The Official I Love God Website - Born out of our Love for God. Click Here to Subscribe.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Agape versus Phileo Love


I have no higher goal in life than to learn how to walk in this God-kind of love, so I want to know more about it. I know a lot about “phileo” love, but I want to know about agape
I have yoked myself to Jesus, whom John revealed when he said, “God is love” (1 John4:16). Jesus doesn’t just love us; He is Love. He is incapable of anything else but love. That’s why we haven’t understood Him the way we should — because we haven’t understood agape love.

We usually don’t have trouble with phileo love. Phileo can be a strong love, but it has its own interests at stake, as well as those of the one loved. It’s more of a conditional love that says, “I can love you if somehow you bring me pleasure” or “I will love you, but I want something back from you.”

So most of us know how to love people with phileo love. But we haven’t done very well at walking in agape. Agape is a self-denying love. Its total focus is the interests and welfare of the beloved.

Phileo love may send me to war because I love my country. I may even give my body to be burned for the hope of a better life for my children. I will sacrifice my life on that altar.
But if agape love goes to war, it is with higher motives. I may still sacrifice my life so my children can live free from threat of harm. But at the same time I have the enemy soldier on my heart. My prayer is that the war would cease and that my enemy would be born again.

Most marriages are based on phileo, not agape. The spouses love each other for what they can receive from each other. If marriages were always based on God’s selfless, agape kind of love, there would be no more divorces.


For More and Daily Edifying Words, you can Subscribe for our E-mail Listing (if you haven't done so)

The Word of God Today is Agape vs. phileo Love

You can join our Facebook Page or follow us on Twitter. Enjoy the Ride!

See other edifying post below.

Do you Love God? Enter your Email address Below to Receive I Love God updates in your Mailbox

Powered by I Love God Site

2 comments:

  1. Agape Love is what God had by Dying for Us all. Plileo love is what a guy will say to get any girl e.g "I will die for you" which is not true. God loves us all

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We usually don’t have trouble with phileo love. Phileo can be a strong love, but it has its own interests at stake" - Just true

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...